We are currently seeking a senior communications officer to join the communications team. Please find details and a full vacancy description below.
Vacancy for the post of Senior Communications Officer
The Russell Group, which represents 24 leading universities in the UK, are currently seeking a Senior Communications Officer to strengthen their Communications team. This is a permanent full-time post.
The successful candidate will carry out general communications activities including social media, assisting with media relations and maintaining the website. Your responsibilities will include:
- working closely with colleagues in the Policy team utilising their knowledge to produce high quality, accurate comments and articles, and identify potential new key messages.
- maintaining and updating the Russell Group website (in conjunction with professional web developers)
- leading on social media activity to ensure Russell Group messages are appropriately disseminated
- writing clear and concise copy suitable for a variety of audiences and channels
- producing news releases and comment of the highest quality and to deadline
- acting as primary point of contact for international and regional media enquiries
- assisting with the production of policy publications,
- dealing appropriately with public inquiries regarding Russell Group policies both by email and phone
- monitoring relevant coverage in domestic, international and social media, including collating coverage and alerting the team to relevant coverage
- maintaining the Russell Group’s forward planning ‘grid’ for press coverage and external events to ensure good notification of potential media interest and opportunities
- maintaining relationships with the communications teams in the 24 member institutions, other HE bodies and Government departments
- assisting with events as required
Candidates will need to demonstrate that they can manage and prioritise a challenging and varied portfolio of work, meet tight deadlines, embrace change, and work cooperatively and flexibly as part of a team. Candidates must be able to demonstrate the following knowledge, skills and experience:
- strong public relations skills and experience of promoting an organisation both verbally and in writing
- direct experience of dealing with the media would be an advantage but an interest in traditional and new media and a willingness to learn are also important
- excellent written and oral communication skills including a proven ability to draft and edit copy and produce clear, concise, briefing material and content for different audiences
- experience of relationship building both internally and externally as well as a track record of collaborative working
- experience of using new and emerging forms of communication
- experience of writing for the web, CMS systems and/or using social media in a professional environment would be a distinct advantage
- be a graduate with a good honours degree
- knowledge of the higher education sector, relevant Government departments or Parliament would be helpful
The salary on offer will be £33,000-£45,000 dependent on skills and experience and the post is based in central London. Other benefits include a generous career average pension, an interest-free travelcard loan, a cycle scheme, and a subsidised canteen.
A full Vacancy Description is available from the following link: http://russellgroup.ac.uk/about/vacancies
Closing date for applications: 5pm, Monday 20th March 2017
Only applicants invited to interview will be contacted. If you have not heard by 31st March 2017 your application will not have been successful.
To apply, please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date:
1)An up-to-date curriculum vitae including:
- details of your current and past employment including your current salary
- your degree and A-Level qualifications including subjects and grades
- two references, including your current or most recent employer and a former manager who could be contacted during the recruitment process
2)A supporting statement (maximum 500 words) addressing the following three points:
- how your knowledge, skills and experience meets the requirements of the role
- detailing specific experience of working in a public relations setting
- why you are interested in working for the Russell Group
For a confidential discussion, please contact Paul Purcell on 020 3816 1300.
Senior Communications Officer - Vacancy Description