Fees and funding: the facts

Facts on financial support for students from September 2012

 Changes have been introduced to the costs of going to university in England for courses which start from September 2012.  If you are from England, and are planning to study full time for your first degree at an English university, these are the key facts you need to know:

You don’t have to pay for your course yourself upfront. If you’re a full-time student studying for your first degree or other higher education course, you can get a government loan that will completely cover your tuition fees. You won’t have to pay this loan back until you are earning over £21,000 a year, and even then you will only pay back a small proportion (9%) of your income above £21,000.

The maximum level of fee is £9,000 a year – but whatever the fee level is, you don’t have to pay any of this upfront, and it won’t affect the size of your monthly repayments when you start repaying your loan.  

Loans, grants and scholarships are available to help you with your living costs. What you’ll receive will depend on your personal circumstances.

In addition to Government support, universities will also be offering financial help to their students. The package of support will vary between universities.

Further information for students from England going to university in England to study a full-time undergraduate course:

More information on loans and grants for students is available at: 

- Independent Taskforce on Student Finance

- gov.uk

- moneysavingexpert.com

- Uni Fees: grants and bursaries by university

For information about the financial support available at universities, check individual university websites.  Full details of the schemes have yet to be confirmed in some cases.  Further details will be available in the coming months. For information on applying to study at university, see the UCAS website.  

Further guidance on student funding

Students from Scotland 

Students from Wales 

Students from Northern Ireland 

Students from England studying in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland 

Students from other EU countries 

Students from outside the EU 

Part-time students 

Postgraduate funding information is available from the relevant university. Links to Russell Group university websites are available here